Go Back

Dewey K. Livingston


Dewey K. Livingston passed away Sept. 19, at home in Kerrville at the age of 91.

He was born May 26, 1920 in St. Joseph, Missouri, to Dewey K. Livingston, Sr and Hazel Livingston.

He was raised on a dairy farm on the Kansas/Oklahoma border and attended schools in Coffeyville, Kansas, where during his last year of school, he taught math due to a teacher not being available.

He left the farm at 17 to begin a career, of nearly 40 years, in aircraft and missile management. He went to work for Douglas Aircraft in California just prior to WWII. He later returned to Kansas and went to work for Stearman Aircraft in Wichita as a tool engineer. Stearman was soon bought out by Boeing Aircraft and he worked as a lead tool engineer on military aircraft all during WWII.

After the war, he went to work as plant superintendent for Continental Can on the aircraft/missile program.

This included the Nike Missile Tracking System on which he was the Program Manager in several worldwide locations including Ascension Island in the Atlantic and the Marshall Islands in the Pacific.

In the late 1950s, he headed up the Titan II missile program for Martin Company as program manager, in both Rapid City, South Dakota and then Wichita. At the completion of the 36 Titan Missile installations, he joined Bill Lear at the beginning of the new Lear Jet program in Wichita as director of manufacturing.

During the Vietnam War, he was asked to return to Boeing when they bought the Vertol Helicopter Operation in suburban Philadelphia, as factory manager on the Chinook and SeaKnight helicopter programs.

In 1970, he became president of Mooney Aircraft in Kerrville for Butler International.

In 1972, he retired from commercial industry to start his own manufacturing plant in Kerrville building lightweight aluminum heat treated snowmobile racing chassis for snowmobile manufacturers in the US and Canada. The company was called Texas Products Mfg. Company.

In 1973, the company won the Governor's award for Small Business of the Year for the State of Texas.

The company was later sold to Sigmor Oil Company who moved it to San Antonio.

He and his wife, Delores, were actively engaged in several retail businesses in Kerrville as well as construction of commercial and residential properties and the financing of same, for over 30 years.

Dewey was active in our community in his own quiet way. He had particular concern for older people in poor health and/or limited incomes, and either personally or financially helped in many cases. He served on the board of the Hill Country Youth Ranch for many years and headed their fund raising campaign in 1981. He also served on the board of directors for the Chamber of Commerce. He loved Sunrise Baptist Church which was originally a mission church of Trinity Baptist Church. He played a very active part in the start-up of this church. He oversaw and physically helped build their Family Life Center at their current location.

He married Delores Nicholson in Wichita on Nov. 9, 1964, and joined their two families of three children each into one. She passed away April 2, 2008.

He is survived by son, Douglas (Carol) of Bandera; daughter, Barbara Strate and son, Clifford, both of Tulsa, Oklahoma; step-son, Robert Faure of Kerrville; step-daughter, Pamela (Joe) Pilgrim of Crowley, Texas; and step-son, Kent Faure of Berkley, California. His stepchildren always knew him as "Dad." He is also survived by step-brother, Rev. Jack Henry (Dot) of Nixa, Missouri; as well as eight grandchildren, who loved their Pop Pop; 11 great-grandchildren; and twin great-great grandsons.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Earl.

Services were held at Grimes Funeral Chapels in Kerrville Sept. 23. He was a long time member of Trinity Baptist Church and services were conducted by Dr. Mel Hardin of Sunrise Baptist Church.

Burial followed at Garden of Memories Mausoleum.

Memorials may be made to the Livingston Scholarship Endowment at Schreiner University or a charity of your choice.

Send condolences at
by selecting the "Send Condolences" link.

Arrangements were by Grimes Funeral Chapels of Kerrville.