Headline News
Go Back

Fire destroys Espinosa home on Dallas Street

By Carolyn B. Edwards BCC Staff Writer

The Bandera Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call for a structure fire at 8:41 pm, Thursday, Jan. 13.
After arriving at 239 Dallas Street, firefighters found a mobile home fully engulfed in flames. They searched the home to verify that no one was inside. Fortunately the family was away from home at the time of the fire.
The structure was the home of Richard and Rebecca Espinosa and the couple's three children, Richard Jr., Ryan and Raymond Espinosa.
According to Bandera County Fire Marshal John Stith, the firefighters successfully contained the blaze, but the home was declared a total loss due to extensive fire and smoke damage.
"My preliminary finding is that the cause of the fire was a space heater in a bedroom. The fire was an accident," said Stith.
Local volunteers are collecting clothing and home goods for the family. The Espinosas will need all of the basics to start a new home, such as cleaning supplies, mops, rugs and bedding, as well as other items. Anyone with donations in clean, good condition may contact the Espinosas' neighbor and Rebecca's mother, Bernice Bates, at 830-796-8418, or call Little Kids Resale and Boutique at 830-796-4644.
"They were very fortunate in that no one was at home at the time of the fire," said Bates, "and they have a temporary place to stay."
A benefit will be held Sunday, Jan. 30 at El Jacalito Restaurant from 7-8 pm. All proceeds will go to the family.

Pictured: Bandera Volunteer Fire Department responded quickly to a structure fire on Dallas Street the evening of Thursday, Jan. 13. The home of Richard and Rebecca Espinosa was destroyed in the blaze.