Headline News
Go Back

Former resident apologizes before execution

BCC Staff

Jonathan Moore, 32, was pronounced dead at 6:21 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, 10 minutes after he received a lethal injection at Huntsville for the 1995 slaying of San Antonio Police Officer Fabian Dominguez, 29. Moore, a former Pipe Creek resident, spent 12 years on death row.

Police-blue glo sticks lifted into the air outside the prison when fellow police officers and friends heard that Moore was dead. Two of those sticks were held by 12-year-old girls who never knew their dad. Twins Michaela and Miranda Dominguez were babies when their father was killed.

Before he died, Moore told Jennifer Morgan, Dominguez’ widow, that he was sorry for shooting her husband. “It was done out of fear, stupidity and immaturity.”

Those words were similar to ones he shared with a former friend, now employed by the San Antonio Express News. He told Tricia Schwennesen that his actions had destroyed the Dominguez family and caused a lot of people to suffer pain.

During his trial, Moore blamed his actions on the fact that he was usually “stoned, sleepless and mean.” He loved guns and the film “Natural Born Killers.”

He was represented at the trial as the victim of a dysfunctional family and of his mother’s alcoholism and abuse. She died last year but his father, a retired electrician, attended the execution with his half-brother and a friend. Moore told family members that he loved them before he was silenced by the lethal injection.

Moore, a former Pipe Creek resident, had attended San Antonio College and wanted to become an engineer. He said he got sidetracked by drinking beer, smoking pot and experimenting with drugs including LSD. During his trial, he fired his attorneys at one point and represented himself.

Before his death Wednesday, he warned the woman he had married by proxy a few days ago to “quit the heroin.”

Before shooting Dominguez repeatedly at close range when Dominguez showed up to foil a robbery, Moore threw a pipe bomb into an empty car to watch it blow up. He video taped the explosion. He had a previous arrest for criminal trespassing in June 1993 and was placed on deferred adjudication. He was charged with burglary in January 1995. He made two failed escape attempts while being held in Bexar County Jail prior to his capital murder trial.

The incident that ended with a lethal injection Jan. 17, 2007, at Huntsville started Jan. 15, 1995, in San Antonio when Moore, then 20, and friends Paul Cameron, 17, and Peter Dowdle, 17, returned to a house they had previously hit to burglarize it again. Dominguez spotted the trio, bent on a crime spree, and attempted to stop them by blocking their vehicle with his, pulling his weapon and ordering them out of the car. As Dominguez approached the car, Moore brushed his gun away and shot Dominguez in the face with a .25-caliber pistol he leveled as the officer approached the car. Moore then grabbed Dominguez’ gun from him and shot Dominguez three more times in the head at close range as the wounded officer lay helpless on the ground.

The three then picked up Moore’s girlfriend and drove to a field in Pipe Creek where they disposed of both murder weapons and the stolen items from the house they had burglarized before Dominguez spotted them.

San Antonio Police officers had Moore under surveillance as a suspect and when they spotted him committing traffic violations the next day, they attempted to stop him. Instead of stopping, he fled. He was captured and arrested in Bandera County after a 20-minute high speed chase that ended when he lost control of his car and crashed into two law enforcement vehicles. After his arrest, he confessed to Dominguez’ murder.

Moore was convicted of capital murder in October 1996 and sentenced to death. Paul Cameron was convicted of capital murder for his involvement in the crime and sentenced to life in prison. He will become eligible for parole in 2035. Peter Elmer Dowdle, who was convicted of engaging in an organized criminal act and sentenced to 25 years in prison, will be eligible for parole in July.

Moore wrote on a Web site that he had disappointed everybody who ever loved him.