Headline News
Go Back
2016-01-28

Quick action saves BHS from fire

By Judith Pannebaker BCC Editor

BHS Athletic Director Jeff Hamilton

Bandera High School was evacuated the afternoon of Tuesday, Jan. 26, after a small electrical fire broke out in the athletic department.
According to Bandera County Fire Marshal John Stith, at approximately 2:35 pm, BHS Athletic Director Jeff Hamilton was in his office when he smelled smoke. The smoke appeared to be coming from a laundry room located near a locker room and coaches' offices. When Hamilton entered the area, he observed a clothes dryer on fire. Additionally, the flames had spread to lighting fixtures and electrical wiring located above the dryer.
Hamilton immediately activated a fire alarm and grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher to put out the blaze. Stith said the school was evacuated safely, according to procedure, and that no injuries were reported. By the time firefighters with the Bandera Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene, Hamilton had completely extinguished the blaze.
Stith arrived at the high school at 2:49 pm. "The fire and smoke was completely contained to the laundry room," he said, adding that power had been disrupted only in the gymnasium area. Stith estimated damage to be about $10,000. The incident remains under investigation.
Praising Hamilton for his quick and incisive thinking, Stith said, "Had it not been for Coach Hamilton's immediate action, this could have been much worse. He did an excellent job and I thank him."