H-E-B issues precautionary recall on meat items
By Judith Pannebaker BCC Editor
Executives with the Texas-based H-E-B grocery store chain, which has its flagship store in Kerrville, have issued a precautionary recall of several beef market items sold in stores across the state due to the possible presence of foreign material in the meat. No illnesses have been reported.
According to the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS), H-E-B meat processing workers discovered metal shavings in products on June 10 while using a metal detection system. After alerting FSIS about the discovery, the company reportedly destroyed the meat produced on June 10 and 11.
Additionally, an internal investigation by H-E-B revealed the source of the fragments to be a failed bearing in auger machinery, FSIS stated. On June 27, a customer reported finding metal in the product - which was produced on June 9 - during an in-store sampling.
"H-E-B is committed to the highest standards of food safety for our customers," said Winell Herron, group vice president of public affairs. "We take every precaution necessary to ensure the integrity and quality of the products sold in our stores."
The following SKUs (stock keeping units) impacted by this voluntary recall include retail vacuum-sealed packages with sell-by dates of 7/4/2014 and 7/5/2014 of the following products:
• Hill Country Fare Beef Fajitas RP UPC, beginning with 220344
• H-E-B Seasoned Beef Fajitas UPC, beginning with 220736
• Mi Comida Beef Skirt Steak For Fajitas (Bulk Package) UPC, beginning with 222322
• Mi Comida Beef Skirt Steak For Fajitas UPC, beginning with 222340
• Hill Country Fare Beef Fajitas UPC, beginning with 224234
• Texas BBQ Rub Style Beef Skirt UPC, beginning with 238715
Retail vacuum-sealed packages with sell-by date of 6/24/2014 of the following product:
• Beef for Stew Meat UPC, beginning with 222835
Retail vacuum-sealed packages with sell-by date of 6/27/2014 of the following product:
• H-E-B Seasoned Beef For Carne Guisada UPC, beginning with 220595
Retail packaged styrofoam tray products packed on dates of 6/9/2014 through 6/28/2014 of the following products:
• Stew meat RP UPC, beginning with 220595
• Stew meat VP UPC, beginning with 220621
• Beef for Stew UPC, beginning with 221776
• Beef for Stew Meat VP UPC, beginning with 222832
• Beef for Stew Meat Tenderized UPC, beginning with 222836
Customers who purchased the affected products can return the product to the store for a full refund. Customers with questions or concerns should call H-E-B Customer Relations at 1-800-432-3113.
A privately held company, H-E-B operates more than 350 stores throughout Texas and in northern Mexico, including general H-E-B stores, Central Market, H-E-B Plus, Mi Tienda and Joe V's Smart Shop.