National Boys & Girls Club Week celebrated
By Greg Parker
One of many members of Boys & Girls Clubs in Bandera County enjoying some of the special activities for National Boys & Girls Club Week.
By Greg Parker
Chief Professional Officer Boys & Girls Clubs of Bandera County
Each year, Boys & Girls Clubs around the country celebrate National Boys & Girls Club Week. This year, the week was March 23 - 29 and it was a perfect time for us to celebrate all that happens within our Boys & Girls Clubs in Bandera County! With a theme of "Open the Door," we spent the week celebrating how we do that in our Clubs, every day.
Our schedule for this special week was:
• Monday - Open the Door to Volunteers! We spent the day celebrating some of the volunteers who help out in the Club on a day-to-day basis and keep our Clubs operating.
• Tuesday - Open the Door to Academic Success! We invited school leaders into our Clubs for them to see exactly what we are doing to help encourage our members to continue their academic success outside of school hours.
• Wednesday - Open the Door to Good Character & Citizenship! Each Club worked on an individual service project. At Alkek and Hill Country Elementary, our members and volunteers spent the afternoon picking up trash around the outside of the schools. Our teen members spent the afternoon cleaning the park on Main Street for the City of Bandera.
• Thursday - Open the Door to Healthy Lifestyles! Each one of our sites spent at least one hour with every member participating in a physical activity. We even kept our teens active with a huge game of volleyball thanks to a few volunteers who came to help out!
• Friday - Open the Door to Fun! At each location, we had a huge party to end the week. At Alkek and Hill Country the monthly "Club Buck" party allowed the members to spend their special recognition money on prizes and ice cream.
These activities and events were centered around our three outcome areas: Academic Success, Good Character & Citizenship and Healthy Lifestyles. To volunteer, give or learn more about Boys & Girls Clubs of Bandera County, please contact us at 830-796-8109.