Headline News
Go Back

TDLR helps veterans, spouses with Texas licensing


The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) recently updated its licensing procedures to help military service members and veterans become licensed to work in Texas using their military service, training, and education.
The procedure also helps military spouses become licensed to work in Texas if they hold an equivalent license issued in or by another state. These changes were authorized by bills enacted in 2013 by the 83rd Texas Legislature.
"TDLR values the contributions of all who serve or have served in our nation's armed forces and of the spouses of military service members," said Bill Kuntz, TDLR executive director. "These new licensing changes allow us to help service members, veterans, and spouses get licensed and get to work in Texas."
TDLR currently accepts verified military experience for licenses in these programs:
• Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
• Architectural Barriers
• Barbering
• Electricians
• Polygraph examiners
• Water well drillers and pump installers.
Beginning May 1, TDLR will issue any master electrician and journeyman electrician applicant a temporary license, license by endorsement or license by reciprocity if the applicant holds a substantially equivalent similar license issued in or by another state. Applicants will become fully licensed in Texas once they meet all state experience and examination requirements.
A military spouse is eligible to obtain a TDLR program occupational license if they hold a substantially equivalent license issued in or by another state and their application is given priority for expedited processing. This applies to the spouse of a person who currently serves in an active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, in the National Guard, or in a state military force.
For more information about TDLR military service, training, education credit and military spouse licensing, visit http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/military.htm, or call TDLR's customer service at 800-803-9202.