Headline News
Go Back

Fire damages Briscoe-Garner Museum

By Carolyn B. Edwards BCC Staff Writer

A fire broke out in the Briscoe-Garner Museum in Uvalde Tuesday, Dec. 11, causing smoke and water damage. The museum, owned by the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin, was once the home of Vice President John Nance Garner.
The fire started during a $1.1 million renovation slated to be completed by the spring of 2013. Spokesmen for the museum did not anticipate that the fire, which quickly spread into the attic, would delay the re-opening. The blaze was set off by the use of a heat gun near flammable paint.
Documents and artifacts related to Garner, and native Uvaldean and Texas Governor Dolph Briscoe, had been removed to storage for the renovation. No one was injured.