Community News
Go Back
2015-01-08

Barkworthies' Chicken Vittles Dog Chews recalled

Public Announcement

Executives with Barkworthies, a company based in Richmond, Virginia, recently announced a recall on Barkworthies Chicken Vittles dog chews due to a potential contamination with salmonella.
Routine testing by the Colorado Department of Agriculture uncovered the threat, when the presence of salmonella was discovered in a single lot of the product. A company spokesman noted that this product batch had previously tested negative during a third-party independent laboratory prior to release for distribution to consumers.
According to the company, packages of the dog treats were distributed nationwide beginning on May 6, 2014. Fortunately, the company has received no reports of illness in either people or animals.
The affected products are packaged in 16-ounce plastic pouches, with the following information:
Barkworthies Chicken Vittles
Lot Code: 1254T1
Best Used by Date: May 2016
UPC: 816807011510
Consumers who have purchased the product can complete a form and return the unused product in a sealed bag to the place of purchase for a full refund. For more information, call 877-993-4257 or visit the company's recall page.
On its Facebook page, a company spokesman said, "We understand this is concerning to our customers, and this is why out of abundance of caution, we are voluntarily recalling this product to ensure that no questionable product is left in the marketplace. Barkworthies regrets this isolated incident and remains dedicated to providing you and your pets with the finest all natural treats and chews."
According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, pets with salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. However, some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If a pet has consumed the recalled product and has exhibited these symptoms, a veterinarian should be contacted.