- In the know... Pipe Creek/Lakehills -
By James Henry Frazar
By James Henry Frazar
Fontenot to be featured at Cajun Festival
Don Fontenot et Les Amis De La Louisiane will be performing at the Sept. 27 Medina Lake Cajun Festival at the Lakehills Civic Center.
He'll be performing on the main stage from 3:10-5:15 pm, just before the gumbo cook-off awards, and from 8-10 pm that evening to close out the festival.
While concentrating on traditional music, the band attempts to add a little "spice" and "flare" to each performance.
Don Fontenot & friends of Louisiana have been performing together in restaurants, clubs, and festivals throughout Louisiana and neighboring states since 1995. They have won numerous Cajun French Music Association Awards, including Song of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year. Although they specialize in authentic Cajun-style music, they often enjoy spicing things up a bit with a little Zydeco & Swamp Pop music thrown in, thereby keeping their fans on their toes, dancing to the beat.
The band members are Don Fontenot, accordion and vocals; Kurt Daigle, drums; Karl Deshotels, guitar and bass; Layton Thibodeaux, bass, guitar, and vocals; Mark Young - fiddle and keyboard.
With their 2010 release, Wide Open, the group changed their name to the English translation, "Don Fontenot and Friends of Louisiana." In addition to Don, Karl and Layton, new band members are Robbie Miller, guitar; Travis Hebert, drums; and Darryl Fontenot, keyboard, vocals.
Visit: www.cajunfestival-medinalake.com for more.
Blessing of the Backpacks
The Lakehills United Methodist Church will host the Blessing of the Backpacks Sunday, April 17, at the 8 am and the 10:30 am services.
There will be a distribution of backpacks with school supplies to elementary students and school supplies to middle school and high school students. Now parents were supposed to pre-register by Aug. 5 for the distribution of school supplies. But if you need school supplies for your children, you might call the church at 751-2404 to see if there is any availability.
Lakehills Library doings
• The American Red Cross will be at the Lakehills Area Library Thursday Aug. 21, from 1-2 pm to do a presentation on Disaster Preparedness. This is an event open to the public and they are looking forward to answering your questions and helping you be ready in case disaster strikes. Please join us for some education you can't afford to miss.
• This month's book clubs' selections are ready. The evening book club selection is A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchey. They meet the last Monday of the month (Aug. 25) at 6 pm. The daytime book club will be reading Floating on My Mother's Palms by Ursula Hegi. The daytime club meets on the last Tuesday of the month (Aug. 26) at 1pm. Both clubs are open to the public and welcome newcomers to join in friendship, food and book talk.
• The library's children's story time will continue with the regular program of stories and coloring on Wednesdays at 10:30 am.
• The library will be starting computer classes in September. It will be everything from basic computers to Microsoft office program use to how to use social media. Call if you are interested in a class as they are scheduled by interest. Contact Dianna at 830-510-2777.